DEC 1 at 1pm or DEC 2 at 6pm
DIRECTED BY DARLENE SINGLETON
Synopsis: Based on a true story, Cheaper by the Dozen tells the story of the Gilbreth family. Their inventor father, who is well-known for bringing better efficiency to factories, keeps his family of twelve children running just as efficiently. This play is told from the point of view of two of his children reflecting on the last few months before his death. He was preparing the family for his imminent departure, but most of his children, like most of the young children in the audience, were unaware of the fact. It is an extremely funny, heart-warming, and family-friendly story.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS & NOTES:
- Bring a headshot & resume to the audition
- Bring all rehearsal/performance conflicts for December 3 through February 24 -- all conflicts must be listed on audition form.
- Be prepared to participate in cold readings from the script
Performance dates are February 8 - 24.
- FRANK BUNKER GILBRETH, SR. (DAD): The patriarch of the family. A successful man who is proud of his wife and family as well as his business accomplishments. Former military, he is a famous efficiency expert who runs his household according to his passion for efficiency. He is loving father, if somewhat removed from the family. Above all else, he wants his children to learn to be excellent in whatever they do. Playable age: Mid 40's to mid 50's.
- LILLIAN MOLLER GILBRETH (MOTHER): The matriarch of the family. Gracious and attractive, a loving mother. She is also a psychologist. She is involved in the affairs of each of her children. Additionally, she supports her husband's efficiency work and is quite the expert herself. Her family is her life. Playable age: Mid 40's to mid 50's.
- ANNE GILBRETH: The oldest Gilbreth child. Attractive, sweet natured, yet stubborn. Like most girls her age, she is rebellious and headstrong, eager to test the boundaries. Anne, however, often credits her rebellion to self-sacrifice, saying she makes the choices she does so that her younger siblings will not have to fight the same battles with their parents. With all credit due, she is a strong leader within the family. Playable age: 17
- ERNESTINE GILBRETH: She and Anne are very close because they both share the bond of being in high school and dealing with social contempt because of their large, unconventional family.Together, they navigate the trials of high school, make some mistakes, and do a great deal of growing up. Playable age: 16
- MARTHA GILBRETH: She's a sweet, vibrant child who loves to have fun. She plays musical instruments and gets into mischief with the boys. Playable age: 15
- FRANK GILBRETH: Named for his father, Frank Jr. feels the full weight of his name. He tries his best to live up to his dad's expectations. When all is said and done, he is a supportive, smart brother to his siblings and a sincere, trustworthy son. Playable age: 14
- BILL GILBRETH: He connects with his father through sports. Playable age: 13
- LILLIAN GILBRETH: She wants to be considered one of the older kids. Playable age: 10
- FRED GILBRETH, DAN GILBRETH, JACKIE GILBRETH: The younger children. Plenty of stage time, but more limited speaking parts. Playable ages variable from age 6-9.
- JOE SCALES: A cheerleader. Very cocky and interested in dating Anne. Playable age: 17
- LARRY: A nice looking, clean cut boy interested in Anne. Playable age: 17
- MISS BRILL: A teacher who has no love for the children. Playable age 20+
- MRS. FITZGERALD: The housekeeper. Playable age 40+
- DR. BURTON: The family doctor. Playable age 40+